February 11, 2009

How The Other Half Lives



So yesterday in a fit of oh-my-god-it's-so-depressingly-gray-out-and-winter-is-never-going-to-end-and-I'm-going-to-be-stuck-in-this-house-forever-and-god-this-house-is-so-fraking-dirty-but-I-don't-have-the-time-or-energy-or-skills-to-clean-it-so-that-it-actually-looks-clean I called a cleaning woman whose name I had gotten months ago, but never called because I thought that in between my knitting (ha!) and cooking (ha!), I'd be scouring the floors joyfully.

The cleaning woman had an opening today and she came here and from 9:00 until 2:00 when I was like, I kind of need to go out and I don't think I can afford to pay you $200, she cleaned my house.

No, she scrubbed my house. She moved furniture and lifted rugs and arranged funeral processions for the Dust Bunnies.

N. and I do the dishes like three times a day and put our food away and sweep the floors and buy products to spray on all our stuff, but it turns out we're actually filthy. Poor Bean! It is so nice to come home to a house that actually looks clean. The problem is that once you go there you can't go back. Forever and forever I'm going to have to have a cleaning person. In just five hours I became one of Those people. But I'm only going to have her come once a month because the reality is we're not any richer not living in Brooklyn. In fact we might actually be poorer since I'm no longer on the payroll and because The Bean needs things like this. Hopefully N. and I can maintain our throughly scrubbed house better and it won't be so bad or take so long next time. Anyway, the monthly cleaning woman might be the best use of N's money ever.

The Bean says actually this would be the best use of papa's money, but mama says $20.00 is a lot for a plastic giraffe even if it is French.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Umm, I think it's BG's money, too.

But BG's Mom fell for the French giraffe (after second thoughts about cowry. So tell the divine one that help is on the way.