June 1, 2008

Back From NH


N. and I left Wednesday to look at places to live in NH. We saw a total of 13 places in about a day and a half. Some places we could have easily skipped since it's clear that I can't live in a place that's miles away from civilization. Some people are happy driving 8 miles down their dirt road. I am not one of them.

We mostly looked in the town of Lebanon. It's a small--2 restaurants (not including the Chinese Buffet and Pizza Parlor, which we have yet to sample) but at least it's a town. I like the idea of being able to walk to the library, post office, etc. I know once the Bean and winter arrives I'll be driving but I like the possibility of not having to. I'm really going to miss walking around Prospect Park with N. but at least living in a town we can take walks around the 'hood or down to the green.

You know what's annoying? You think N. and I would feel totally rich being five hours out of the city but we don't. The place we have hopefully (cross your fingers, lurkers) found is a little more than we'd like to pay and we have to pay for heat, which is no fraking joke what with New England winters, oil prices, and a Bean who needs to live in a 70 degree abode. You'd also think that moving out of the city would increase our space exponentially but it won't. It's one of these places that's really nice looking but deceiving small and kind of awkward. Don't even get me started on the closets! But it is pretty and there's a dishwasher! and washer/dryer! which is exciting. N. and I figured that doing our own laundry instead of sending it out to the place up the street will save us an average of $4,000 a year, which should easily cover our heating bills.

You know what Lebanon, NH needs? A coffee shop. Although I can easily blog at home, I often need to do my "real" work in a coffee shop. Yes, I'm one of those annoying people with my snotty-assed XL lattes on my Mac Air. There's no place in town that comes remotely close this and even Hanover, which is where Dartmouth is, I don't think superior looking Mac users taking up the coffee shop to write their great American novels, are really part of the culture.

There might not be a coffee shop but there is a really fab looking pool in this enormous rec center thing in Lebanon. And, there's baby sitting for $2.75/hr for members. Now, that's a deal you just couldn't find in Bklyn.

1 comment:

M. Alice said...

My parents had a terrific babysitter for us. Her name was "The Television". The best thing she taught us was how to be awkward at parties.