April 30, 2008

The First Step to NH


Was trading in our styling yet totally gas devouring VW for a Subaru Outback, which if it's not on stuff white people like it should be.

I have yet to see a person of color anywhere near a Subaru. (And yes, I've been looking. What do you think I do when I'm not blogging or going to the library?)

Anyway, our VW aka "Ruthie" had over 130,000 miles on her and we just kept emptying our bank accounts getting her fixed this year. The a.c. got fried when we were up in NH (where it was surprisingly balmly) and it's just not legal to have a pregnant woman in a car with no a.c during the summer. It had to be done. Yesterday N. went in with Ruthie and came out with the car who has yet to be named. There was no question of not getting a Subaru for NH because we're white, listen to NPR, like Barack Obama, and will probably join some kind of food Co-op. Plus it has all wheel drive which I hear is helpful during the occasional New England snow flurry.

I heard from the gays that Subarus are a very lesbian car, which I guess is something. But still, those crazy kids just picked themselves up a super cute, city-friendly Honda Fit. It feels a little bit like they got a Mac and we got a PC. Our new(ish) Outback has made me feel really married, kind of boring, and less black than ever.

2 comments:

Karen said...

it's all like a novel....

Unknown said...

i'm honored to be included in this blog. and yes, we are mac. but you all will never be PC.