July 28, 2008

What We've Been Doing Other Than Not Having A Baby


No, no bean yet. Do people think we're gonna keep it a secret?
In our remaining days of "freedom", N. and I have gone to Fort Tryon Park and the Cloisters, the Brooklyn Flea, watched the French "thriller" "Tell No One", David Gordon Green's "George Washington", and Werner Herzog's "Encounters at the End of the World". On DVD we watched "Chinatown".

I enjoyed The Cloisters a lot more than I did when I was a kid, which was probably the last time I was there. Remember how boring museums are as a kid? Fort Tryon Park is really neat, too. It has a very different, almost more mountainous feel than Central and Prospect Parks.

We went to the Brooklyn Flea on Sunday. We didn't buy anything since we're in no state to accumulate and nothing seemed really great. The most exciting thing was getting interviewed for The Brooklyn Paper. I love TBP because it's very local and the crime stats are very thinly veiled and funny.

We were interviewed because there's been some controversy since the flea occurs right across from a church and apparently is making parking a problem.

After our interview, we waited on the long line for taco, which turned out to be a bit of a bummer for me. Because of the bean induced heart burn, I couldn't stomach more than a few bites of the deliciousness. Of course N. was more than happy to eat my taco since they are so very tasty and authentic and probably will not exist in New Hampshire. I can't wait till I can eat spice!!

!!!!!Spoiler Alert!!! Do NOT READ THE NEXT PARAGRAPH IF YOU WANT TO SEE "Tell No One."

It seems that everyone with the exception of my parents loved "Tell No One". I'm happy to report that the critical movie viewing genes run deep because N. and I were disappointed with the movie. It's not bad exactly, but suffers from seemingly sloppy editing and, even more to its detriment, some serious plot flaws. The acting is good and there are parts of the movie that are well-done, but then there are some aspects of the plot that are unforgivable. N. and I didn't mind seeing the movie although at various points we both wondered when the movie would end. My more specific thought was actually: if I go into labor now, we'll leave. But it was more of a passing thought. And no, I didn't go into labor because no, we haven't had the bean.

One thing that made N. and I more critical of "Tell No One" is that we watched "Chinatown" the night before. "Chinatown" is such a perfect crime-thriller that most other movies in the genre would pale in comparison.

I love David Gordon Green. You should too. Put "George Washington" on your NetFlix queue. Now.

Werner Herzog is odd. The temperature today in Nico, Antarctica is -64 degrees Fahrenheit.

No comments: