May 13, 2008

Best Of Brooklyn: Thai


While I'm still able to walk (rather than waddle) to dining establishments around the Borough of Kings, I thought I'd have a semi-regular Best of Brooklyn series of posts.

Let's talk about Thai food.

People often ask if pregnancy has brought any weird food cravings. The only thing close is how much more I desire Thai food. I always liked it but since being pregnant I find myself wanting it at least once, sometimes twice a week. Weirder is how I want the same thing (Pad See Eu) even two days in a row, which is so not my (non pregnant) style.

I think the best Thai food in Brooklyn is Watana on 7th Ave between 14th and 15th. It's consistently good and fresh. It's also cheap since it's BYOB. N. usually gets some kind of domestic brewsky at the bodega across the street unlike his usual fancy-man wine at restaurants with liquor licenses.

(Not drinking for these past 6! months [yes, the Bean inadvertently imbibed alcohol during its first month since I had no idea!] has made me painfully aware of the insane markup on booze in restaurants. I know everyone knows this but it's all the more painful when sober to realize that your hunny has spent $20 on two glasses of average wine when you can get a decent bottle for less than $10! I'm working on N. to get a flask, but he thinks it's tacky.)

Back in the day I often ate at Song on 5th Ave and 2nd St. because it was $8.00 entree cheap. But I stopped two years ago because it was always insanely noisy and the noodles were greasy. I went back with a friend last week who said the food was better. I was pleased that the curry I ordered (I had Ped See Eu at Wantana the night before and the Bean's diet should have variety) was delish! N. and I went last night, but my noodles were greasy! And overly beefy! Wantana has a lot more veggies in their Pad See Eu so they get more points. N. liked his Massaman curry so maybe the rule is only curries at Song. Song is not BYOB but even with a glass of wine, last night's bill (incl. tip) was $25.00

Mango at 52nd 7th Ave in Park Slope is okay. If you do take-out, you need to get extra rice because they are very stingy with it.

The truly best and cheapest BYOB Thai food in the smallest space is probably East Village Thai on 7th St btwn 2nd and 3rd but since this is a Brooklyn-centric blog I'm not going to mention it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been there in a while, but I've always had a soft spot for Planet Thai in Williamsburg...