May 6, 2008

BBG



Another cool thing about Brooklyn is the Botanic (yes, it's Botanic, people. The Botanical is in the Bronx) Gardens. On Tuesdays (and Saturdays before noon) it's free, which I (occasionally known as "the cheap one") really dig.

This past weekend was the Sakura Matsuri festival, which means the cherry blossoms are peaking and 10,000 screaming children are set loose upon the well-manicured grass. Plus, there's Japanese food and music going on. N. and I opted to skip it and go this morning. There were still a lot of people but not nearly as bad as it can be on the weekends or at the fest. The cherry blossoms were nice and the atmosphere was pretty pleasant. We discovered the celebrity walk which has leaf prints for famous people who were born in Brooklyn---Joe Torre, Rosie Perez, Walt Whitman, etc. The path was virtually empty compared to the rest of the garden.

Once I took my mom to the garden and there were 100,000 Orthodox ladies with their 6.5 children apiece there. I think she might still be traumatized. And to be honest, it was rather intense. I once went with my dad on a cold fall day, which was nice because it was empty. I've also went there with my former high school English teacher this past fall.

If you want to get married or have a commitment ceremony in Brooklyn, the place to do it is the BBG. We had friends that did it almost three years ago. The whole place does feel pretty magical at night. N. and I aren't classy enough for the BBG so we had to marry in Queens....

2 comments:

Karen said...

Yes, I'm still traumatized....

Jim Wunsch said...

Aw for Pete's sake deary, why "dis" the great Queens Farm Museum where your nuptials were told? Nothing against those pretty flowers in Kings County, but you can't beat having chickens, goats, and moo cow in attendance, especially if you don't have too many friends to invite. Like the way crowd, relaxes when the cock crows as the padre drones. Say you still married to that guy? Helluva wedding though.